Deaf Education Travel/Study Trip
Sunday, July 3 – Sunday, July 10, 2022
Join Signs and Smiles on a 7-night trip in service to deaf children in Mexico. Learn about deaf education abroad and explore the historic city of San Miguel de Allende.
- Sunday, July 3 – Flight to San Miguel de Allende. Be transported from the airport via shuttle to your hotel. Snack and refreshments provided upon arrival.
- Monday, July 4 – After breakfast take a guided walking tour of the historic center of San Miguel followed by a light lunch. In the afternoon enjoy a visit to EEESMA (Escuela de Educación Especial San Miguel de Allende, San Miguel de Allende Special Education School), the local deaf school, for orientation and to meet students and staff. Pizza at the school for dinner.
- Tuesday, July 5 – After breakfast attend EEESMA to support the staff and students. Lunch at the school, then spend the afternoon working with the students on a mural preparation or in the Vocational Training Workshops. Free evening.
- Wednesday, July 6 – Have a relaxing breakfast before meeting your tour guide for a tour of the Cañada de La Virgen historic pyramid site. Enjoy a light lunch at a ranch at the site. Return to EEESMA in the afternoon to continue projects with the students. Gather for dinner at a seafood restaurant close to the school.
- Thursday, July 7 – Following breakfast visit EEESMA at to work with students. Lunch at school. Free evening.
- Friday, July 8 – Following breakfast visit EEESMA to finish off projects with the older students. Share a specially prepared lunch at the school with teachers and students, followed by a presentation by the student choir. Enjoyable dinner at the home of a friend of Escuela de Educación Especial.
- Saturday, July 9 – Following breakfast, guests can either browse local artisans’ stores or participate in an social/educational project at Los Arcos, a facility where EEESMA has begun to conduct a Deaf Culture/Social Center in recent months. BBQ lunch of hamburgers shared by all. Free evening.
- Sunday, July 10 – Following breakfast be transported to the airport for departure from San Miguel with many wonderful memories, fantastic photos, and stories to share when you get home.
Approximate total cost per person: US$2,300
This cost will vary based on your origin and return airport.
- Deposit: US$1,150 to reserve your space, due May 10, 2022. Full refund if cancelled by June 1, 2022, minus a US$200 administration fee.
- Balance: Appx. US$1,150 due on June 1, 2022.
- Pre-trip LSM (Mexican Sign Language) lessons via Zoom.
- 5 days of exchange with K-12 deaf students and their teachers at Escuela de Educación Especial San Miguel de Allende, EEESMA, the local deaf school.
- Air transportation to and from your airport of choice in the USA.
- Ground transportation within Mexico.
- Guided tour of historic San Miguel.
- Guided excursion to local pyramid ruins.
- Single-occupancy stay in a modern hotel.
- Breakfast plus lunch or dinner every day.
- Travel insurance.
The primary languages used will be American Sign Language (ASL), Mexican Sign Language (LSM), and spoken Spanish.
- Travelers are expected to use ASL while traveling and socializing in the group.
- Informal interpretation will be provided from Spanish to ASL during the guided tours.
- We will provide 3 LSM lessons by Zoom before departure, which will be recorded for those who can’t join. Travelers are expected to use as much LSM as possible in the school setting.
Guests will stay in the newly-built Kubo Hotel, a hotel made from repurposed shipping containers.
Rooms have ensuite bathrooms and one double bed.
Are you in?
Fill out this form to get on the list. We will only have 12 spots available on this trip!
Spots are not guaranteed until a deposit is paid.