Deaf Education Travel/Study Trip
Sunday, June 11 – Sunday, June 18, 2023
Join Signs and Smiles on a 7-night trip in service to deaf children in Mexico. Learn about deaf education abroad and explore the historic city of San Miguel de Allende.
- Sunday, June 11 – Flight to San Miguel de Allende. Be transported from the airport via shuttle to your hotel. Snack and refreshments provided upon arrival.
- Monday, June 12 – After breakfast visit EEESMA (Escuela de Educación Especial San Miguel de Allende, San Miguel de Allende Special Education School), the local deaf school, for orientation and to meet students and staff. Lunch at the school then enjoy an afternoon short tour of the town center led by deaf staff and students at the school. Group dinner at local Mexican restaurant.
- Tuesday, June 13 – After breakfast attend EEESMA to support the staff and students. Lunch at the school, then spend the afternoon working with the students. Pizza and chess and various other games at the school.
- Wednesday, June 14 – Have a relaxing breakfast before heading to San Miguel Adventure Park to enjoy horseback riding, hiking, or zip lining excitement. Enjoy light lunch at the site. Return to hotel late afternoon. Free evening.
- Thursday, June 15 – Following breakfast visit EEESMA to work with students. Lunch at school, then an afternoon visit to El Gruta Hot Springs. Enjoyable Mexican dinner at the home of a friend of Escuela de Educación Especial.
- Friday, June 16 – Following breakfast visit EEESMA to finish off projects with the older students. Share a specially prepared lunch at the school with teachers and students, followed by a presentation by the student choir. Evening open.
- Saturday, June 17 – Following breakfast, guests can either browse local artisans’ stores or participate in an social/educational project at Los Arcos, a facility where EEESMA has begun to conduct a Deaf Culture/Social Center in recent months. Schedule open.
- Sunday, June 18 – Following breakfast be transported to the airport for departure from San Miguel with many wonderful memories, fantastic photos, and stories to share when you get home.
Approximate total cost per person: US$2,600
This cost will vary based on your origin and return airport.
- Deposit: US$1,300 to reserve your space, due April 11, 2023. Full refund if cancelled by May 10, 2032, minus a US$200 administration fee.
- Balance: Appx. US$1,300 due on May 10, 2023.
- Pre-trip LSM (Mexican Sign Language) lessons via Zoom.
- 5 days of exchange with K-12 deaf students and their teachers at Escuela de Educación Especial San Miguel de Allende, EEESMA, the local deaf school.
- Air transportation to and from your airport of choice in the USA.
- Ground transportation within Mexico.
- Guided tour of historic San Miguel.
- Horseback riding or zip lining adventures at San Miguel Adventure Park.
- Single-occupancy stay in a modern hotel.
- Breakfast plus lunch or dinner every day.
- Travel insurance.
- Group donation to the EEESMA school.
The primary languages used will be American Sign Language (ASL), Mexican Sign Language (LSM), and spoken Spanish.
- Travelers are expected to use ASL while traveling and socializing in the group.
- Informal interpretation will be provided from Spanish to ASL, but is not expected to be extensive.
- We will provide 3 LSM lessons by Zoom before departure, which will be recorded for those who can’t join. Travelers are expected to use as much LSM as possible in the school setting.
Guests will stay in the newly-built Kubo Hotel, a hotel made from repurposed shipping containers.
Rooms have ensuite bathrooms and one double bed.
Are you in?
Fill out this form to get on the list. We will only have 12 spots available on this trip!
Spots are not guaranteed until a deposit is paid.